Wednesday 10 March 2010

Hands off my intellectual property


The government have reiterated their intention to impose more punitive measures for 'persistent downloaders' of copyrighted material. The new initiative would introduce a 3 strikes system: the first would be a warning from their ISP, the second a suspension and the 3rd a ban. Opposers of the scheme say it is unworkable due to the amount of 'piggybacking' that occurs when users don't secure their connection. As a result they claim innocent people could lose their connection by no fault of their own. The government also plans to crack down on sites which offer copyrighted material for viewing. What do we think about Illegal downloading? is it an inevitability in a world where internet regulation seems impossible? Should our moral compass come before getting a free album or film? I can't help thinking its prevalence would not be as great if the multi-nationals who own large amounts of intellectual property had responded sooner to a changing market. They certainly don't help their cause by regurgitating the same figures which translate the amount of illegal downloads directly into lost sales. It simply doesn't add up. For an impassioned defence of the morality of downloading or just for a very entertaining 20 mins listen to Stephen Fry's podcast/lecture on the subject here: http://www.stephenfry.com/2009/07/27/series-2-episode-4-itunes-live-festival/

to read The Times' latest article on the subject:
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article3353387.ece

2 comments:

  1. I buy music - often on vinyl or CD, sometimes online. But I have no qualms uploading or downloading music which isn't commercially available. I don't really have a problem with illegally circulating music which no longer enriches the musicians - haven't EMI had their investment into the Pistols multiply repaid, and Parlophone with the Beatles? Conversely, once a musician's licensed their music for adverts, they've lost sales - whatever I might have bought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, agreed about artists who allow there music to be used in commercials. I suppose we all have our individual rationale for what we choose to pay for. I will always buy the cd of a band who don't sell lots of records, eg Shack (a band I know you share an admiration for). Simply because they need every sale they can get to be able to make their next record. A record which I will want to hear. Also if I get into an old record, I will then buy it on vinyl. Even though I haven't owned a record player since my last one broke about 5 years ago.

    ReplyDelete