Sunday 14 March 2010

Woe is me...

Drinking can be great fun but the next day very rarely is. A hangover is the inevitable low to the previous night's high, it's a time when the literal and metaphorical debt is called in from the spending spree, the time when one is forced to stare the results of ones actions square in the face. I can handle the sickness, the throbbing head and the tiredness, what I can't deal with is the unbearable feeling of melancholy, the feeling that you have done something unspeakably wrong which can't be pinned down. Keats told us to seize the melancholy and use it as inspiration for creativity. There can be no highs without lows is his argument (a little reductionist I know, fellow English students). Instead of writing a masterpiece of romantic poetry, I have completed a half-arsed blog entry and written a couple of paragraphs of an essay that's due next week. I do it not because I'm inspired by a terrible sadness but because it takes my mind off thinking about the night before.

How to cure a hangover from The Times online:
http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/diet_and_fitness/article6966261.ece

and just in case you haven't read 'ode on melancholy' here it is in full:
http://www.online-literature.com/keats/478/

No comments:

Post a Comment