Sunday 25 April 2010

Stand up Comedy.

I have a love/hate affair with stand up comedy. When it's done well it can be the most incisive, subversive and hilarious medium. Ideas and opinions expressed by the all licensed fools of the stage can inform, shock or be the catalyst for us to fundamentally change our opinions. Unfortunately, it rarely is.
For every Stewart Lee, Daniel Kitson, Johnny Vegas, Richard Pryor or Bill Hicks there are a thousand Michael Macintyres, a multitude of Patrick Kieltys and a plethora of Shappi Khorsandis (the thought of the latter has made me feel nauseus). I object to these people. The fact they are popular is one of the many reasons i have little faith in the Great British public.
I used to go to a lot of comedy gigs but the ordeal of sitting through a shit support slot has almost completely put me off. If i hear another routine about how different men are to women, or another 'have you ever noticed that Americans are stupid' rant i may relent to my desire to run on stage and strangle the offender. Better i stay at home and watch a Dylan Moran DVD.

For anyone who is still confused, this is good stand up:


and this isn't:


I'm glad that's all sorted.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Graham, firstly thank you for the links on your post, both equally made me laugh, but i must say i am bias, as i am a fan of Michael McIntyre. I can appreciate your comment regarding the whole men being different to women routines which yes many do, but id rather hear those than a comedian seperating peole up into other catergries such as race or thier choice of religion, i think thats a little too personal sometimes, however in my opinion as long as a person doesnt take it literally too heart then its quite humorous......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graham - I'm completely in agreement with regard to Patrick Kielty and Michael Macintyre...those who can do, those who can't, present instead. Though, I must confess that I did find Shappi superficially amusing until she engaged in the 'Mickey' incident which was woeful! How do you make a shit song and incredibly shit song?...dress Shappi Khorsandis as a cheerleader and ask her to dance to it on national television in the name of career progression, er herm, I mean charity. I would engage further with you post but *?!**!? flashplayer has an aversion to my home PC...

    ReplyDelete